Soil Ecology and Land Management
Start: 1 September 2021
Duration: 2 years
Application deadline: 20 July 2021
Programme website: http://www.bio.tsu.ru
Following the adoption of the new Land Code and the Soils Law the need for highly qualified soil scientist capable of solving issues in the field of natural resources, sustainable development and land management is growing. Research activities aimed at solving problems of environmental management, are of high priority. They also made the list of critical technologies in Russia (the preservation and restoration of disturbed lands, landscapes and biodiversity).
Brief description of program: the students focus on the Land Code, the system of land administration and legal issues of land use, technology of land management and the real estate cadaster, a system for land monitoring, cadastral and economic evaluation of land resources in the land market. Various forms of soil stability in ecosystems, genetic features of soil formation in vivo, as well as technologically-modified and anthropogenically transformed in connection with nuclear power plants, and intensively developing oil and gas sector.
Prospects for employment, professional and/or research activities:
- Master’s graduates can work as teachers in universities, agricultural and forestry institutes, colleges and scientific institutions of soil, forestry, and environmental profiles, environmental agencies. The graduates are highly demanded in various sectors of professional activities connected with such fields as genesis, ecology, soil evolution, evaluation and protection of land resources, for example, Institute of Monitoring of Climatic and Ecological Systems of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IMCES SB RAS);
- institute of Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry (IPA ) SB RAS;
- siberian Botanical Garden;
- siberian Research Institute of Agriculture and Peat of Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences;
- cadaster chambers;
- district, municipal and regional departments of land management;
- private organizations, conducting land surveying;
- project enterprises of Tomsk, Kemerovo, Novosibirsk, Barnaul, Krasnoyarsk, Abakan, etc. Graduates may continue their scientific career or postgraduate studying at TSU or other universities.
Admission to the program is carried out on a competitive basis following the results of admission tests: an entrance examination and an interview.
Required documents (to be submitted online):
1) a passport copy;
2) a Bachelor's diploma copy (OR a registrar-issued transcript of grades for the last semester); upon arrival students must provide the admissions committee with an original document;
NOTE! documents received in a foreign country are submitted legalized in accordance with the procedure established by the legislation of the Russian Federation, or with the apostille (except when, in accordance with legislation of the Russian Federation and (or) an international treaty legalization and apostille are not required)
3) certified translation of the diploma and the passport into Russian language (can be submitted upon the arrival)
4) a completed application form (online)
5) other diplomas and certificates proving any other achievements (if available)
6) entrance exams:
- written test in Soils Studies
- an interview
Tuition fee per year is 223 700 rub.
Scholarships are available via the Russian government scheme.